The five service pups I've raised...

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

He is Risen! He is Risen Indeed! - Easter Sunday

The morning started sunny and my alarm went off with a beautiful trumpet and chorus singing. I attended the contemporary service and was delighted by a high school senior that played his trumpet with the praise band. I just love a trumpet in church! Pastor Jack made the Easter message so fresh and captivating; tying Christ's resurrection to our personal salvation through His grace. Any sermon that starts with Neil Diamond's lyrics from Brother Loves Traveling Salvation Show, ya know is going to be worth hearing.



Dad and Ever came over today after church (he went to traditional service) and we spent a wonderful Easter together. Dad brought a stunning 2001 St Francis Merlot and he sauteed some shrimps as an appetizer.



But I had the rest. It was fun to do the meal, as many Easters past, Dad has done the ham dinner.
My menu was roasted Cornish game hens with stuffing, wild rice, steamed broccoli and Caesar salad. I made a pineapple upside down cake for desert and we had it on the patio with freshly brewed coffee.

I did Internet research to learn all sorts of methods to enhance the flavor of the hens. I learned about brining, which I had never heard of…and gave the birds a kosher salt bath with bay leaves and poultry seasoning. I used a balsamic glaze that ended up producing gorgeous, golden, flavorful hens. I turned them once starting breast down, and then the last 10 minutes I cranked up the heat to 450 and Wa La! A yummy meal. The weather was sunny and lovely.

No comments: