The five service pups I've raised...

Thursday, December 24, 2009

When I hear them, certain Christmas songs remind me of family members...
The past few weeks while hearing carols on the radio, I smile when certain songs are played.

For Dad, I think of “Sleigh Ride” for at the end of the song a trumpet makes a neighing sound for the horse call –I remember Dad sharing how as a boy he used to enjoy that part while playing his coronet for Christmas concerts.


For Mom I think of Brenda Lee doing “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree”. In the 1970’s Mom used to love to dance with us kids in the living room. We had an old console stereo/radio, a large beast on legs where if you lifted the top, inside was a turn-table (kids, ask your grandparent what a turn-table is) and a radio. I remember grooving with her when this song came on.

For Lorrie – she loved the country band Alabama. In the 1980s they did a song called “Christmas in Dixie”. I still love this song although you really only hear it on country music stations these days, and not often.

For Eric’s Christmas music, I think of him when I hear anything by (none other than) Elvis. Elvis’ “Mama Liked the Roses” and “Blue Christmas” especially.

When I hear “Jingle Bell Rock” I think of Natalie. Because as a little girl her Music Director at Valley Forge Elementary would do a silly little lean forward when directing her choir… “THAT’s the jingle bell, THAT’s the jingle bell, THAT’s the jingle bell rock…” Too funny. For years we made fun of her directing style doing that song.

Ok family, this blog’s for you….do you all recall these?
Feel free to share what songs remind you of each of us. Just click on the comment button if you wish to play along...

No comments: